Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Evil dessert

For Father's Day I made Jake one of his favorite desserts. Thankfully, this time I did not have any mishaps with the food processor (I once dropped the blade on my toe while making it causes a trip to the ER for stitches). The funny thing is, when Jonah saw me putting it into the oven he started to freak out saying that it was an evil dessert. I was quite puzzled until he asked me why I would make something out of blood. I assured him that it was cherries but he would not believe me. Poor kid missed out on a yummy dessert...and a'la mode too! Just too funny.

So what's the recipe? Here ya go.

Pear (or apple or peach) and Cherry Crumble
Heat oven to 425 degrees

1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
5 tbs butter cut in pieces
1 can cherry pie filling
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbs cornstarch
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
3 medium pears, apples or peaches (or combination of fruit)

Crumble flour, sugar and first listing of spices in food processor. Pulse to blend. Add butter. Pulse until coarse crumbs form. Pour cherry pie filling into 2 qt greased baking dish. Mix sugar, cornstarch and spices in bowl until blended. Stir in lemon juice. Add sliced fruit. Spoon over cherries. Top with topping. Bake 45 min or until topping is golden brown and fruit is tender. Cool. Refrigerate at least 8 hours. Or be like us and eat it warm with vanilla ice cream.

Try it. You will like it.


No comments: